Sunday 1 May 2011

Appropriation

In my book I studied appropriation in art, focussing mostly on artists such as a Sherrie Levine and Jeff Koons. My opnion of much of the art in particular Levine's work was negative as I found that the interest mostly surrounded how she changed the meaning and not the art itself.
I have, hovever, been intrigued by many artists appropriations in art such as artists who appropriate everyday materials such a Tony Cragg and Marcel Duchamp. I also liked Picasso's appropriation of Velazquez's 17th century figure of a girl as it does not exactly copy the figure but references it instead.
(left) Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez in 1656 
(right) Las Meninas (after Velazquez) by Pablo Picasso in 1957
















Similarly, I think that Jeff Koons appropriation of Art Rogers 'puppies' takes the image into a new perspective. The materials and use of colour achieve a new image entirely, though of course it is inspired by Roger's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment